How to install Google Analytics into Squarespace
If there’s one thing website owners must have on their site, it’s a tracking and reporting tool. Utilising a powerful reporting platform allows you to track important stats and gives insight on your site traffic and performance. Knowing important information, such as who your audience is, where they are from and which of your most popular pages, will help you determine how best to market your products and services.
Squarespace already has its own reporting platform called Squarespace Analytics, which tracks and reports statistics on page views, sales, referrers, and popular content. It can also track revenue, conversion, and cart abandonment data for online stores. However, this might not be enough information for you.
You have an option to gather additional site information by adding Google Analytics to your Squarespace site. They have similarities but also differ in how they calculate results in terms of counting internal traffic, filtering bots and non-human activity, tracking RSS subscribers and IP addresses, among others.
While Google Analytics is more complex to use compared to Squarespace Analytics, it is more in-depth and has features not available on Squarespace. This includes audience demographics, interests, location, user and behavior flows, and more.
Adding Google Analytics to your Squarespace site is easy. Just follow these simple steps.
Step 1: Sign up for Google Analytics.
Signing up is free. Just provide your email and some basic information about your site. https://analytics.google.com/
Step 2: Find your Tracking Code.
- Log in to your Google Analytics account and go to your Dashboard. Click the Admin tab on the bottom left.
- Select from the drop down menu property settings
- Find your Tracking ID on top. It starts with a UA followed by a series of numbers.
- Copy it for your reference because this is what you will need to add to your Squarespace account.
If you haven't loaded your website into Google Analytics you can do this by going to Property > Create Property > add in your sites details > get the tracking code
Step 3: Sync Google Analytics to Squarespace.
- Log in to your Squarespace site and click the settings tab on the left side of the dashboard.
- Scroll down and select Advance > External Services.
- Paste your Tracking ID under Google Analytics Account Number.
That’s it! You’re all set up. Just take note that it might take a day or two before any data will be shown. Just be patient and it’s all going to be ready soon.